We're thrilled you plan to join us! Here's what you can expect.
DUE TO THE COVID CRISIS WE HAVE HAD TO CHANGE OUR PROTOCOLS FOR THE TIME BEING. WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU INVOLVED! BELOW IS OUR "NORMAL" SCHEDULE.
PLEASE CONTACT HALEY@PEOPLELOVINGNASHVILLE.COM IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO VOLUNTEER DURING THIS SEASON!
MONDAY NIGHT SCHEDULE:
- 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm: Meal preparation at PLN Kitchen - 522 Russell Street (directions click here)
- Note: The entrance of our kitchen is on 6th ave. Park on 6th Avenue or in the church parking lot.
- 5:15 pm: New Volunteer Orientation (mandatory for first time/new volunteers)
- 6:30 pm – 6:45 pm: Group gathering
- 6:45 pm : Depart PLN Kitchen for War Memorial Plaza downtown (directions click here)
- 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm: Meal Distribution + Community Building Downtown
PLN Kitchen - 522 Russell Street (directions click here)
War Memorial Plaza downtown (directions click here)
WHAT TO EXPECT
Each Monday night, volunteers of varying ages and backgrounds gather at PLN's kitchen in East Nashville to assemble up to 200+ meals in to-go cartons for transport to War Memorial Plaza downtown.
Most folks arrive between 4:30 pm. - 6:00 pm. to prep the food, assemble the meals and help clean up. There is also a handful of volunteers that team up to organize clothing by size and gender for the donation table.
Once the meals are packed in our trusty white cargo van around 6:30, we take a few minutes to divvy out tasks, encourage each other with scripture and pray together. Then we pile into cars and caravan over to War Memorial Plaza where our homeless friends are already forming lines for dinner and donations.
When the volunteers arrive, we hustle to unload the meals, tables, boxes of donations and other materials so we can get everything set up. Once everything is ready to be served, a prayer is said and the meals and clothes are handed out. Depending on the week, you may see an extra donation table with women’s feminine products or group of kids huddling around coloring books and crayons. Anything can happen and anything is possible!
After the evening wraps up around 8:30 pm, any leftover meals are dropped off at a local shelter and willing volunteers meet back up at the kitchen to wash leftover dishes and close up shop for the night.
Rain or shine, People Loving Nashville comes to reach out to the poor. We’ve never missed a Monday in since January of 2009, and those that join us downtown have come to depend on our presence each week. Some of our guests are just passing through, but many of them are our friends and part of our community. We are humbled to have the opportunity to serve our friends every week.
* If you have a large group please let us so that we can prepare to have you serve. CONTACT US NOW!